To the untrained eye, there appears lately to be a lot of divisions within the political right wing. As New York progressives stare slack-jawed and Clintonites build laughably simplistic models, it’s become apparent to me that the divisions are not factional, but evolutionary. Like a classic role-playing game, each ideological “tier” represents a level-up that unlocks new abilities: new ways to think and reason about today’s economic and social ills, new defenses against the ideological indoctrination of the left and new techniques for going on the rhetorical offensive.
This isn’t a hierarchy. It’s not a way of saying that every Lv5 is a better person than any Lv2. It’s not a measure of overall intelligence, or authoritarianism, or even the precise location on the political compass. If anything, level-advancement brings heightened awareness of the irrelevancy of the left-right axis, at least anywhere to the right of classical liberalism. It’s a personal evolution, with each individual having their own unique set of attributes, ideas and tactics.
In other words, if you see yourself on Lv1 or Lv2, that’s not intended as a strike against your self-worth; only a sign that your political philosophy has some room to grow. Also: You do not level up by simply knowing about the different levels. You have to feel it on an instinctual level and be able to articulate it clearly, and that means fighting some (verbal) battles against average and midwit SJWs and neoliberals, not just the dumb shitlibs you see ranting on social media and in spin class. Trash mobs don’t give good experience or loot.
Level 1: Trad-Con, Neocon, Classical Liberal
- Vague sense of unease that our freedoms are slipping away.
- Desire to preserve some or most aspects of our current culture and lifestyle.
- Belief in the value of dialogue and compromise. “We can work this out.”
- Faith in the integrity and self-correcting nature of our public institutions.
- Forward-looking, short-term. “Here we are; how can we slow things down?”
- 🛡 Parry (negates half of incoming DMG)
- ✨ Provoke (temporarily focus enemy attacks on you)
- 💊 Sacrifice (HP goes to 0, allies are partially healed)
- 👣 Run away
Level 2: Fiscal Conservative, Constitutionalist
- Comprehension of how incentives drive behavior.
- Desire to maximize human flourishing.
- Disgust of Marxism, dislike of socialism and big-government programs.
- Faith in the self-correcting nature of competition and constitutional democracy.
- Forward-looking, medium-term. “Can we correct the incentive structure?”
- ⚔️ Economic Argument (low DMG)
- ✨ Call out Hypocrisy (enemy loses turn; no effect on bosses or SJWs)
- ✨ Appeal to Profits (banish enemies; must be on Unconverged Business terrain)
- ⚔️ Cite Legal Precedent (moderate DMG; no effect on lawyers or ferals)
- 👣 Ragequit (low AoE DMG; lose 90% of HP)
Level 3: Libertarian, Objectivist, Originalist
- Understanding of opportunity cost, time preference, and economic calculation.
- Desire to maximize individual liberty.
- Distrust of all coercive monopolism, including cronyism/regulatory capture.
- Faith in the self-correcting nature of Sovereign Individuals.
- Backward-looking, short-term. Rejection of “living constitution”, expansionism.
- ⚔️ Non-Aggression Argument (moderate DMG, weak against Communists)
- ✨ Confuse (enemy loses multiple turns, may attack other enemies)
- ✨ Support Legal Marijuana (temporarily focus enemy attacks on others)
- 🛡 Sperg Out (ally+enemy attacks negated for 1 turn; useful for recovering)
- 🏳️ Vote Libertarian (10% chance of 1 enemy dying of laughter)
Level 4: Anarcho-Capitalist, Civic/Economic Nationalist, Alt-Lite
- Recognition that the State is not and will never be a benevolent force.
- Desire to minimize conflict through private property and/or shared values.
- Invalidation of all State property, or 100% allocation to defense, law and order.
- Awareness that nothing is self-correcting and physical removal may be required.
- Backward-looking, medium-term. Rejection of egalitarianism, mass migration.
- ⚔️ Rhetorical Argument (moderate-high DMG, lowers enemy DEF)
- ✨ Intimidate (20% chance enemy leaves the battle, no effect on bosses)
- 💊 Rally (allies recover HP, gain temporary ATK boost)
- 💣 Dank Meme (random AoE DMG, 0.2x to 4x modifier)
Level 5: Neoreactionary, Paleocon
- Recognition that politics is downstream from culture; democracy as a means of conflict-resolution is a beautiful lie.
- Desire to completely eliminate left-wing institutions, values, and entryism.
- Repudiation of compromise between right and left (the center cannot hold).
- Realization that western traditions protected us, and we have still not matured.
- Backward-looking, long-term. Rejection of federalism, imperialism, etc.
- 💣 History Bomb (high AoE DMG, enemies may flee)
- 💣 Troll (all enemies, moderate DMG, may become Triggered or Confused)
- ✨ Reframe Narrative (raise ATK for all allies, lower ATK for all enemies)
Level 6: Ethnonationalist, Alt-Capitalist, Alt-Right
- Knowledge of how heritable traits influence intelligence, behavior, and culture.
- Desire to preserve western civilization above all other concerns.
- Willingness to use any tactic or tool of the left (including the State) against it.
- Acceptance that western tradition can only survive with western demographics.
- Cyclical viewpoint (“either voluntary or violent change is historically inevitable”)
- ⚔️ Genetic Argument (high DMG, high chance of stun, may hurt self/allies)
- 🛡 High Ground Defense (temporary immunity from most attacks)
- 🐸 Induce Paranoia (enemies see Hitlers everywhere, attack random targets)
Note how I don’t make explicit mention of any level’s ideal vision of society. This is about degrees of awareness, and persuasion techniques that one is able and willing to use. You can be a race realist, and still wish for a NAP-based solution. You can be anti-egalitarian and still hope that, some day, as Iain M. Banks imagined, people might legitimately be able to change their fundamental nature with technology. You can hyper-optimistically predict, as I do, that if we can make our species more intelligent, we’ll be able to come up with even better solutions that none of us can conceive of today.
That said, if you like western society exactly the way it is today and don’t want to see anything rolled back, then you’re either a neoliberal/progressive or not very good at this game. You might want to try an easier game, like pattycake or moving to Canada.